Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Mixed Pattern birthday card

I have to admit that I LOVE patterned paper. I mean, what's NOT to love, right? Beautiful colors, endless patterns and some even have matching doo-dads and things. However, I'm just not good at using them. I tend to make my own background patterns and call it a work of art. I recently came across a cute little pad of papers at Target of all places (go figure) and had the over whelming urge to add it to my ever unused stash of patterned papers so I eagerly snatched it up and put it in my cart. I was so giddy over it I even texted a picture of it to a good friend and fellow cardmaker. I'm sure she probably thought I was insane because she knows I don't venture into the yummyness of patterned papers.
 
I think I've realized why I have such a tough time. Growing up we are taught how to dress ourselves. Heck, I'm going to date myself here, but my clothing had little animals on it and you pulled out a pair of shorts and a top that had the same animal on the tag and you knew they matched and that's what was ment to go together. Don't go putting on a giraffe shirt with a pair of lion pants...you seriously can not go mixing those! See, from a young age it's drilled into us to not wear a stripped shirt with polka dot pants. So I'm going to blame my non creativeness on Garanimals. It's all totally their fault ;) Since my free spirit of mixing patterns was so stifled I apply this same rule to cardmaking. I see all these pretty cards with multiple patterns and I totally puffy heart them but my brain won't let me make one of my very own. I decided to pull out that horded little pack of paper, told my inner self to sit down & shut the heck up and just went with the flow....
Whatcha think? Did I pull it off or am I breaking the no polka dot pants and stripped shirt rule? I can't decide if I love it because of the color palette, the patterned paper or the fun Washi flags. On another note, I'm still having a hard time resisting slapping a bow somewhere on this card. I know that I don't always have to use beautiful bows on everything, but I just can't help myself....sigh
 
That's it for me today...thanks for stopping by!!!!

 

3 comments:

  1. Tina, I think you have done a great job of mixing your patterns! The two backgrounds are faint enough to pass as neutrals so the don't fight the washi flag designs. Way to fight those garanimal demons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, I think you have done a great job of mixing your patterns! The two backgrounds are faint enough to pass as neutrals so the don't fight the washi flag designs. Way to fight those garanimal demons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is so much fun! I am laughing so hard at the giraffe shirt/ lion pants sentence- this, my dear, is why I love you. :)

    So glad that you broke outside of what was comfortable- it totally paid off on this beauty!

    ReplyDelete