Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Playing with Gelatos

Have any of you ever played with Gelatos (linked to Simon Says Stamp), I have to admit that I never have. I've seen them around and even spied them in my local big box crafty stores. I've gone so far as to pick them up and read the package on multiple occasions just to end up feeling intimidated and then placed them back on the shelf for someone that was smarter and more talented than myself. 

Well, the other day I was at The Stamp Pad, where I teach card making classes and was talking to the owner about my ideas for upcoming class themes. I wanted to do a class on teaching a few techniques that many might not know how to do. She pulled out a brand new package of Gelatos (cringe!!!!!) and asked if I've ever used them. She had purchased them to play with but just doesn't have the time. I told her that I've toyed with the idea but have never tried it out due to the intimidation factor. She handed me the package and told me to "play away!". Well, I will have to say that in this instance, You Tube has been my friend and given me LOTS of pointers!! 

What do you think of my very first try using Gelatos? This was so easy and fun...I have NO clue why I was so intimidated!! I started off by stamping a pattern with Versa Mark onto white cardstock and heat embossing with clear embossing powder then chose 3 colors to work with...red, orange and a peachy pink. I started with the red and rubbed a little on near the bottom then used my finger to smoosh it around. I then rubbed the orange right above that and smooshed it around blending where the 2 colors meet. I added a little of the 3rd color to the top and again smooshed it around making sure to blend where the 2 colors meet. When I was happy with my blending and color saturation I used a baby wipe and wiped off the colors so that the colors smoothed out and embossing that acted as a resist could shine through. That's all there was to it...easy peasy!! I made a CAS layout for this card so that my handy work with the Gelatos could take center stage.

There are several more tricks I want to try when I get a chance. If they go as easily as this one I'll be over joyed!! As I said before, I found lots of inspiration on You Tube and would like to give credit to Laurel Beard from the Lawnscaping blog for the tutorial on the technique I used here. She has a ton of great videos and it's well worth checking out!!



3 comments:

  1. Bravo Tina!! Your background looks like a beautiful sunset and I like those pretty butterflies. Great job, your students will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Tina! Your background is so pretty! I am loving those colors together and love those butterflies. Your gelatos background looks amazing! I have been a lot of things done using them, but they have always scared me too. lol Not that I have any or have even saw them in the store. But I love what people do with them. I look forward to seeing what else you do with these babies! Great card!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete